We have been amazed at God’s kindness this week as He has extravagantly answered our prayers regarding our adoption.
- We have been praying since day 1 that the Lord would expedite our adoption process if it be His will. He enabled us to get through our part of the Home Study in a blazing 2 months time. Next, although we had been told we should expect to wait up to 6 months for a referral, we got a referral just ONE DAY after becoming eligible to do so (LID 2/28, referral on 3/1).
- We have also been praying since the beginning that the Lord would give us a baby. We have heard again and again that it is not as common to see really little ones, but we have continued to pray for it. Our youngest daughter is 2 1/2 and we wanted a little girl who would ideally be at least 1 year younger than she is. We have been praying that the Lord would allow us to bring home a child younger than 2 years old, and preferably younger than 18 months. It seemed too much to hope for, and we have been preparing to bring home a toddler or to wait a very long time for a baby. But we were stunned and thrilled to get a referral for a 6 month old baby, and we hope to bring her home sometime around her first birthday! How can we praise Him enough for answering yet another of our specific prayers?
- Our third daily prayer for our little girl has been that she would be in an orphanage where she is being well cared for and her needs are being met, as much as is possible in that difficult situation. Although we don’t fully know the answer to that prayer yet, we have been encouraged that in spite of her cleft lip/cleft palate, her weight is really good so she appears to be well cared for. We were also encouraged to learn that not only does her orphanage have a Half the Sky program, it was one of the initial orphanages to do so! Half the Sky is a wonderful program in some of China’s orphanages, in which nannies come in and rock babies, providing loving stimulation, and extending care that goes beyond merely meeting the children’s physical needs.
- We have also been pleased by the information we have gotten about the orphanage recently from others who have traveled there, as well as the report we got last week in answer to our questions about our little girl. When we first submitted our Letter of Intent to adopt (LOI) we were concerned that she may be deaf, as her file stated numerous times how quiet she was, and that she made no sound when spoken to. But this week we found out that they no longer have any concerns about her hearing, and that she is now laughing and vocalizing and responding to sound. We praise God for this wonderful news!
Those big picture items were three of the things that struck us the most. God has brought us a child whose particular situation directly matches the three things we have been burdened to pray for daily for the past 7 months. But if that weren’t enough, he has added grace upon grace, shining a light on this little one through unusual details that are particular to our family and to her.
- We began our adoption paperwork the same week that this little girl was born.
- Her birthday is on the one-year anniversary of my dad’s death.
The Lord has also used the following providential circumstances to encourage us:
- I have two friends locally who have adopted from China; one of them brought a little girl home six months ago with cl/cp. She is further along the road and has already been a great help to me. We are planning to use the same doctors, cleft clinic, and speech therapist that her family is using, and it is great to have a local friend who can help me navigate these waters.
- We have a long-standing relationship with the speech therapist our friend is using; it turns out that she has experience with cl/cp and she has already been working with our younger boys for the past two years.
Our current prayer requests:
- We submitted a request for China to wait on her cl/cp surgeries and let us do them when she gets to the U.S. Please join us in praying that they will honor our request.
- I did not think we would even have a referral by August, yet now we have the possibility of having a baby by then! Please join us in praying that the Lord would do another amazing thing and let us get to her before her 1st birthday!
- Please join us in praying for the attachment and bonding process, that this precious little girl will bond with us quickly.