We have gone back and forth since July about when we should start this process.
We found out that once we submitted our initial paperwork, we would be called within 5 to 7 days to set an appointment to begin our home study.
With the current timeline, that would put as at likely completing our adoption during the fall of 2013, and we have not felt comfortable with that time frame.
Our oldest son will be a senior in 2013/2014 and the fall will be a very busy and important time for him, with college visits, applications for scholarships, and making lots of big decisions. We home school, and I need to be there for him during this important season.
Also, he plays football for a local Christian school. He was a captain this year, and football plays a significant part in his life during the fall. All of his years of hard work will culminate next fall during his senior year. There will be senior appreciation night, and some other special opportunities for him next fall. My husband doesn’t want to miss any games his senior year it at all possible.
Add to that the craziness that is having all four of our boys playing football and the fall is just pretty much the busiest time of the year for us. We don’t think anyone could–or would want to–manage the schedule we run during the fall.
And we know our adopted daughter will have some special medical needs that will likely require immediate attention when we get home from China.
So pondering all of this has caused us to have second thoughts about starting the adoption now….and yet, we want to start! We are torn.
There is no way to know when we would go to China to get our child, and we could wait until the fall window has passed, and then if things didn’t work out right, the adoption could happen during graduation or something like that…which would also be bad timing.
I know it sounds petty to be worried about something like this, but that is where we are at right now…we will want to do everything for our adopted child when she comes home, but we don’t want to make decisions right now that will keep us from doing things we have committed to doing for the children we already have.
Yet we know that God is sovereign over all these things. He knew, when he called us to adopt, that it would be Jack’s senior year next year. He knew that! And yet called us exactly when He did.
And we can trust Him!
Lifeline is encouraging us to go ahead whenever we are ready and not worry about next year, especially since there are ways to slow down the process later if we need to, and since there are no guarantees about how it will all work out anyway.
So we are doing it. I have been working on the paperwork and we mailed the first batch today, along with our first check.
Next step: Home Study.